Toledo Twisted Tack
Family Guide 2021
Forms & Rules
New Club Packet
Ohio 4-H Volunteer Handbook
Project Book Questions
188 tRAIL RIDING
Type the letter of your answer in the numbered box that matches the number of the question on your test. The numbered box is ABOVE the question.
Indicates required field
Are the following statements TRUE or FALSE?
1. You must use western tack on a competitive trail ride.
2. An endurance ride is over a predetermined well-marked trail with a controlled time and pace.
3. In a competitive trail ride, riders are rated on their stabling or accommodations for their horse.
4. Generally, a long-backed horse can carry more weight than a short-coupled horse.
5. Every horse should have a halter and lead rope even on short trail rides.
6. A horsemanship judge may consider how considerate and safe you work around your horse and
among other horses.
7. You should let a horse drink fresh water along the trail.
8. It takes 30 days of feeding fat for the muscle cells to use it most efficiently for energy
9. A blood evaluation is a good indicator of a horse's health.
10. Good manners are important in any good trail horse.
Fill in the blank with the correct word(s).
11. Horses are inspected and rated on their condition _____ a competitive trail ride.
C. before, during and after
12. Going ____ hills is very difficult for some horses.
C. sideways on
13. A rule of thumb is that it takes ____ miles of training for every mile of a competitive ride.
14. Generally a horse should not be asked to carry more than _____% of its body weight.
15. If the temperature and humidity totals ____ or more, it stresses the horse and workouts should be lightened or eliminated.
16. If the horse's skin takes longer than ____ seconds to return to normal after a pinch test, severe dehydration is indicated.
17. A horse's normal temperature is ____;
18. Normally, an at-rest temperature of ____ degrees or higher indicates illness.
19. The horse's pulse rate may be taken ________.
A. under the horse's jaw
B. on the inside of the knee
C. both A and B
20. A normal resting respiration rate is ____ breaths per minute.
A. 8 - 16
B. 20 - 24
C. 30 - 40
21. Pulse rate in a well-conditioned horse rarely exceeds ____ beats per minute.
A. 20 - 30
B. 40 - 50
C. 60 - 70
22. Any horse with a heart rate of more than ____ needs to be rested.
23. If the horse's respiration rate exceeds the pulse rate, he has been ______.
A. well conditioned
B. at rest
C. stressed or exhausted
24. The two major nutritional concerns for the competitive or endurance trail rider are _____.
A. feeding enough protein and vitamins
B. feeding enough energy and sufficient electrolytes
C. feeding enough protein and sufficient electrolytes
25. From the last 1/2 mile marker at the end of a competitive trail ride, you must proceed at a ____ or faster.
26. Thumps is _____.
A. a type of interference where the hooves hit each other
B. a viral disease
C. a jerky respiratory motion seen in an exhausted horse
Indicate whether the following would cause the horse to be
penalized (P) or
from a Competitive Trail Ride.
27. lameness at the pre-ride exam
28. lameness that occurs during the ride
29. elevated temperature and cough
30. abuse of the horse
31. not maintaining a proper pace as determined by the horsemanship judge
32. dyspnea due to allergies
33. finishing the ride more than 1 hour passed the announced total ride time
34. finishing the ride more than 30 minutes early
35. not presenting a conditioning record at registration
Are the following
allowed (A) or
not allowed (N)
on a Competitive Trail Ride?
36. ointments on open wounds
protective leg gear
40. prescription medication
Copyright © 2013-2021 Lucas County Saddle Horse Advisory Committee, All Rights Reserved.
Login to Page Editor
AND MAINTAINED BY