Toledo Twisted Tack
Family Guide 2021
Forms & Rules
New Club Packet
Ohio 4-H Volunteer Handbook
Project Book Questions
175 LIGHT HORSE SELECTION
Type the letter of your answer in the numbered box that matches the number of the question on your test. The numbered box is ABOVE the question.
Indicates required field
Are the following statements true or false?
1. The hock is the pivot of action.
2. The topline of a well proportioned neck should be the same length as the bottom line.
3. Ideal shoulders on a horse are long and straight.
4. Narrowness in hind leg placement results in power and smooth gaits.
5. Horses with heaves are not placed in a horse show. or are placed last in a judging
6. Young horses grow more quickly in the hindquarters than the forequarters and
should not be penalized severely for this.
7. Horses that stand crooked usually move crooked.
8. A hard working horse may have some windpuffs and bog spavins which are causes
for elimination from a halter class.
9. A foal should be slightly splay-footed in the way he stands.
10. The side view of a horse should divide into three equal parts.
Indicate which 5 considerations are judged in halter classes (H) and which 5 are judged in pleasure classes (P).
11. structural correctness
16. conformation or suitability of horse to rider
17. functional correctness
19. way of going
20. gait quality
Fill in the blank with the correct word(s).
21. The best combination for a long fluid stride is a ____.
A. long shoulder, short arm and short forearm
B. short shoulder, long arm and short forearm
C. long shoulder, short arm and long forearm
22. The ____ is known as the coupling.
23. Ponies measure under 14.2 hands which is _____ inches.
24. Horses should have a ____.
A. short back and short underline
B. long back and short underline
C. short back and long underline
25. In a 4-H judging class, there are ____ horses.
26. Height at the croup should be ____ height at the withers.
A. lower than
B. the same as
C. higher than
Indicate whether the following are a blemish (B) or unsoundness (U).
32. bowed tendon
33. jack spavin
34-40. Match the following gait trait with the conformation trait that causes it.
B. hard concussion of the feet producing a loud pounding gait
C. wing out or paddle when moving
D. wing in or dish in when moving
F. less agile and heavy in the bridle
G. balance, agility and ability to collect and work off of the hocKS
34. long, trim neck and clean throatlatch
35. short, heavy neck
36. short upright shoulders and pasterns, short strides and mutton withers
38. buck knees and long toes
Copyright © 2013-2021 Lucas County Saddle Horse Advisory Committee, All Rights Reserved.
Login to Page Editor
AND MAINTAINED BY